[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #62497] History for a question about ASCII2NC

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 27 10:48:35 MDT 2013

Dear sir or madam,
  I have a question about "ascii2nc" tool.
  I am trying to convert some near surface point observation to netcdf format, but don't know how to write it in the form ASCII2NC can process.
  Take 2 meter temperature above the ground as example, how should I set column 1, 8 and 9? 1=ADPSFC, 8 = station pressure and 9 = station Elevation + 2?

Message_Type
Station_ID
Valid_Time in YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS format
Lat in degrees North
Lon in degrees East
Elevation in meters above sea level
Grib_Code corresponding to this observation type
Level as the pressure level in hPa or accumulation interval in hours
Height in meters above sea level or above ground level
Observation_Value in the units prescribed for the grib code
  And where can I find a detail explanation about these Message Types?

  Please help, thank you!

Jiangshan