[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #58413] History for Observations for Point-Stat (UNCLASSIFIED)

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 9 09:53:14 MDT 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I am learning of a source of point observations for upper air and surface
which is an ascii file called OBS DOMAIN. We are trying to solve a problem
with erroneous data in the MADIS mesonet data and learned, through another
ARL colleague, about the OBS DOMAIN file which is used in WRF if observation
nudging is used. See the following link for a references and a sample of the
file.

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/wrfv2/How_to_run_obs_fdda.html

The OBS DOMAIN file is subjected to extensive QC in order to obtain the best
set of observations for assimilation into the WRF. As such, I would like to
use the observations contained in it in Point-Stat.

The format does not appear to be MET specific nor netcdf.

Have you ever worked this file or data from this file as the source data to
provide input to Point-Stat?

Thanks.

R/
John