[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #58307] History for netcdf config file

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 8 08:47:38 MDT 2012

hi, I try to run point-stat tool whit fcst_file in netcdf format but no run
and i think that the problem is in my config file can you show me an
example for that file?

Subject: Re: [rt.rap.ucar.edu #58307] netcdf config file
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Mon Sep 17 07:12:55 2012

Jose,

The Point-Stat configuration file is described in section 4.3.2 of the
MET User's Guide:
    www.dtcenter.org/met/users/docs/users_guide/MET_Users_Guide_v4.0.1.pdf

Sample Point-Stat configuration files can also be found in the
released code (I'm assuming METv4.0, here):
    METv4.0/data/config/PointStatConfig_default
    METv4.0/scripts/config/PointStatConfig

And this README file describes the config file entries - search for
"NetCDF" in that file:
    METv4.0/data/config/README

You may also find it helpful to look at the online tutorial:
    http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv4.0/point_stat/index.php

However, I see that none of those examples show using an input NetCDF
file.  But here's an example of that for Grid-Stat:
    METv4.0/scripts/config/GridStatConfig_APCP_12

It's pretty simple, for gridded NetCDF files, the "name" entry is set
to the NetCDF variable name.  And the "level" specifies how to extract
the 2D gridded field from that variable.  See that README
file.  One word of warning, if you're verifying a NetCDF forecast file
in Point-Stat, you'll need to define the "obs" dictionary to specify
which observations should be used for the verification.  In
Point-Stat, the observations are always specified using GRIB
conventions.

Give that a shot, and feel free to send us your config file and input
data for Point-Stat if you continue to experience problems.

met_help at ucar.edu