[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #56997] History for MET_HELP

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 26 10:51:26 MDT 2012

 [rt.rap.ucar.edu #56995]
Deat Sir,
when I run grid_stat,encontour the error message:"NETCDF :attribute not found",what can I do ?
thanks
plj

Subject: Re: [rt.rap.ucar.edu #56997] MET_HELP
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Jun 14 12:55:02 2012

plj,

That error message is coming from the NetCDF library.  MET is trying
to extract information from an attribute in the input NetCDF file, but
that attribute isn't present in the file.  I suspect that
you're trying to pass Grid-Stat a NetCDF file format that it cannot
read.

One common misunderstanding is thinking that MET can handle the NetCDF
output of the WRF model directly.  That is not the case.  You must
first post-process your WRF output using either the Unified
Post-Processor (UPP) or the pinterp tool.  We strongly recommend using
UPP since it writes out data in GRIB1 format, that MET can easily
handle.  If this is the case you're in, please refer to the WRF
User's Guide for instructions on running UPP.

If you're trying to read some other form of NetCDF, it likely won't
work.  METv3.1 can only read a very limited format of gridded NetCDF
data.  If you're creating this NetCDF file, you'll need to make
it look like the NetCDF output of the PCP-Combine tool in order for
the other MET tools to be able to read it.

Hopefully that helps.  If you'd like me to take a closer look, please
just send me the NetCDF file you're passing to Grid-Stat.

met_help at ucar.edu