[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #57320] History for about met Plotting and Graphics, please help me

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 9 12:39:16 MDT 2012

To: Developmental Testbed Center - MET

Hello,

My name is wang, i am doing my master thesis at a university in Beijing .  I want to use MET to verify preciptation field generated by BJ-RUC .Now, I met the problem about  Plotting and Graphics. when i study the met-user's guide V3.1,I am interested in the picture which is Figure 11-3,Figure 11-4 in Chapter 11: Plotting and Graphics Support.The Figure 11-3 is about the AWCSI index  which  measures the area-weighted fraction of observed and/or forecast events that were correctly predicted. H ere is a text information  generated by using R scripts which is available on the MET website.
f Files Processed = 1
Total Number of Single Objects = 15
Number of Single Fcst Objects = 10
Number of Matched Single Fcst Objects = 5
Number of Unmatched Single Fcst Objects = 5
Number of Single Obs Objects = 5
Number of Matched Single Obs Objects = 5
Number of Unmatched Single Obs Objects = 0
Total Number of Cluster Objects = 8
Total Number of Fcst Cluster Objects = 4
Total Number of Obs Cluster Objects = 4
Total Area of Objects = 12630
Area of Single Fcst Objects = 7174
Area of Matched Single Fcst Objects = 6920
Area of Unmatched Single Fcst Objects = 254
Area of Single Obs Objects = 5456
Area of Matched Single Obs Objects = 5456
Area of Unmatched Single Obs Objects = 0
Median of Max Interest by Fcst Object = 0.690555
Median of Max Interest by Obs Object = 0.79908
Median of Max Interest by Fcst+Obs Objects = 0.78345
Cluster Pair Centroid Distance:
   Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
  5.111   5.175   8.922  11.590  15.340  23.420
Cluster Pair Centroid X-Offsets:
   Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
-23.320 -14.730  -8.485  -9.006  -2.766   4.269
Cluster Pair Centroid Y-Offsets:
    Min.  1st Qu.   Median     Mean  3rd Qu.     Max.
-0.03783  1.59000  2.54700  2.36200  3.31900  4.39200
Cluster Pair Centroid X,Y Offsets and Distance [4]:
(-11.8604, 4.3919) 12.6474
(-5.1105, -0.0378) 5.1107
(4.2692, 2.9615) 5.1959
(-23.3242, 2.1324) 23.4215
 I wonder in this case  if the AWCSI can be expressed as AWCSI=(5*6920/12630)/(5*6920/12630+5*254/12630),is my understanding about the AWSCI computing process correct? if i am wrong,please show me the right ansewr.
 in addtion,i wonder if you can offer the scripts about  Figure 11-3,Figure 11-4 ,or help me about how to get the result like  Figure 11-3,Figure 11-4 .
 look forward your reply!
Thanks in advance and best whishes!

wang
beijing- chinese  academy of meteorological science