[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #53374] History for error in installing METv3.1

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 15 09:10:27 MST 2012

Dear Sir,

I want to install METv3.1 on IBM machine. I am sending my user_defs.mk and
log file. Please have a look and help me in solving this problem.

Thanks and Regards
--
Dr. Hashmi Fatima
Project Scientist

Mobile No. +91 9899283296

Subject: Re: [rt.rap.ucar.edu #53374] error in installing METv3.1
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Feb 09 08:58:48 2012

Hashmi,

This problem is easily fixed.  MET needs to be built using the GNU
Make utility.  On IBM machines, this is often named "gmake" instead of
"make".  If gmake isn't available, please contact your
system's administrator and ask if you have access to the GNU make
utility.

Assuming gmake is on your system, please try executing:
    gmake >& make_met.log

This fact is noted in the online tutorial here:
    http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv3.0/compilation/compile.php

However that's the online tutorial for METv3.0 - we're working on the
updates for METv3.1 but haven't posted them yet.

https://rt.rap.ucar.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=53374>

> Dear Sir,
>
> I want to install METv3.1 on IBM machine. I am sending my
user_defs.mk and
> log file. Please have a look and help me in solving this problem.
>
> Thanks and Regards

Have u seen the user_defs.mk? I have defined the paths of gmake and
other
utilities correctly. It is same as the past installations of MET on my
machine.

The files of installation in this version have been changed. export.mk
was
not there in the older versions.

Regards
Hashmi

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM, John Halley Gotway via RT
<met_help at ucar.edu

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri Feb 10 10:09:33 2012

Hashmi,

I do see your "user_defs.mk" file.  Yes, the build instructions for
MET have changed in METv3.1.  The changes for METv3.1 are described on
the release notes page:
    http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/release_notes/METv3.1_release_notes.php

Based on your user_def.mk file, it looks like gmake is available on
your machine in "/bin/gmake".  Is that correct?

So have you tried building MET using the following command yet?

    gmake >& make_met.log

If not, please do so.  I compiled METv3.1 on the NCAR IBM bluefire
machine using this command and it all worked fine.

RT<met_help at ucar.edu

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Tue Feb 14 13:16:35 2012

Hashmi,

I just wanted to follow up on this issue.  Were you able to get
METv3.1 successfully installed on the IBM you're using?

RT<met_help at ucar.edu

From: Hashmi Fatima
Time: Tue Feb 14 17:37:57 2012

John,