[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #58023] History for running MET: problems encountered

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 29 08:07:46 MDT 2012

Dear Tressa,

I started running METv3.1 with our model latlon gridded data in GRIB1 and station observations in ASCII for the Sochi Olympic region. The first step with the POINT_STAT tool is O.K. including statistics and plots, I really enjoy using the MET and have already translated the Guide into Russian.

So it works, but we encountered several problems which I guess we can solve quicker with your help since I couldn't find explanations in the Guide.

1. The gen_poly_mask tool.

I looked at masks in data/poly directory to get some notion of how to create my own one. Am I right that the tool is using a definitely oriented (closed) chain of lat-lon points so that all grid points to the LEFT when passing from the first poly_point to the last are included into the polygon? Thus, when I walk in the opposite direction - I get all points OUTSIDE the polygon included?

2. !!!The Grid definition.

The GRIB1 header reserves only a HALF-WORD for lat-lon increments. We DON'T use it directly since this rounds the lat increment of 0.0125 in our COSMO model with about 1x1 km mesh and we get a 6 km shift accumulated to the center of the integration region.

We actually take the first, the last grid points and the corresponding NX,NY dimensions from the GRIB1 header to precisely calculate both  increments. Now we had do manipulate these increment values in the GRIB1 header to match the requirements of MET.  When I use our approach (recalculation of ZERO increments in the GRIB header) MET doesn't work. In the latter case ncdump applied to the gen_poly_mask output gives all latitudes and longitudes EQUAL to the  first grid point in the GRIB header. I superficially looked through directories and codes -  'delta' values are used, for example, in  src/libcode/vx_grid codes for different transformation.

I suppose your mesoscale grids are fine enough to need more than three digits after the point as it's the case in the GRIB1 increment coding. How do you solve this problem within MET?

Thank you in advance, and best regards,
Anatoly

Dr. Anatoly Muravyev
THE HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL RESEARCH CENTRE