[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #57644] History for Processing time for point_stat with NCAR ds337 ncdf files

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 2 13:54:02 MDT 2012

Hello again John,

I was wondering if you could comment on the following behavior of
point_stat when running with PrepBufr files from the NCAR ds337 dataset.

When I run point_stat with daily input ncdf observation files (generated
by pb2nc) that cover a relatively small model domain (say, the size of
Southern New England), with a corresponding small number of obs (several
tens of thousand individual obs valid over the entire day), point_stat
completes successfully in less than 10 s. When I try to verify on an
outer domain that covers CONUS, with a corresponding large number of obs
(1-2 million), point_stat requires about 60-70 minutes to complete.
Thus, to verify hourly a full model run of 24 valid times, over a day of
wallclock time is required.

I don't recall if this scaling behavior occurred for v2.0 of MET.

I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks.

Respectfully,

John Henderson