[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #50812] History for Question on ME statistic (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tressa Fowler via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 19 13:19:42 MDT 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I used Point-Stat to compute the ME for 10 meter wind speed (WIND) and 10
meter U and V component wind speeds (UGRD, VGRD) from ADPSFC observations
and WRF forecasts.

The values (aggregated over 9 forecast valid times per day for 31 days) for
ME for WIND was -0.22  and the ME for U was 0.33 and for V was 0.41.

Is it consistent for the WIND to be underforecast while the components winds
are overforecast from a statistical sense?

Thanks.

R/
John

Mr John W. Raby, Meteorologist