[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #47129] History for Problem using GDAS ADPSFC observations

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Fri May 27 15:09:13 MDT 2011

I'm having a problem with point_stat in METv3.0 when attempting to use
ADPSFC data from GDAS  PREPBUFR files.  For example, when I attempt to
verify TMP/Z2 against ADPSFC observations, I get zero matched pairs.  If
I use the ONLYSF option, it will use the SFCSHP observations, but not
ADPSFC.

I know the ADPSFC observations exist in the netCDF files that were
created by PB2NC, because there are many ADPSFC obs in the hdr_typ array
when I ncdump any particular obs file.

I looked through the known issues section of the website and saw the
following,But when I differenced the updated pair_data.cc file with the
one I have, they are identical, so I must have made that update previously.

One interesting thing to note is that when I use NDAS observations
instead of GDAS observations, this issue does not occur.  The model
fields verify against ADPSFC observations just fine.  So I'm not sure
what the issue might be.  Unfortunately, I'm using this data for an old
case, so I do not have access to NDAS observations for this period.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

- Jeff Z.

    Point-Stat Tool

      Vertical level matching logic when using a generic level type.
      Posted 10/05/2010

*Problem:*When verifying generic level type data (e.g. "RH/L1") against
a surface observation message type (e.g. "ADPSFC"), Point-Stat was
finding zero matched pairs.
*Solution:*The fix is to no longer enforce that the observation level
value exactly match the forecast level value when verifying against
surface observation message types. This makes the behavior in METv3.0
match that of METv2.0.
Update:METv3.0/lib/vx_met_util/pair_data.cc
<http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/known_issues/METv3.0/patches/lib/vx_met_util/pair_data.cc>
And then recompile MET.