[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #45570] History for MODE error "too many cells"

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 17 14:13:53 MDT 2011

Dear Met-Help
I am using a rather large ensemble dataset and running MODE.
I encountered an issue where MODE was finding more than 500 objects per time period. I found the max_singles variable in the vx_wrfdata.h file in order to increase the number of objects found.

I reprocessed my data only to get this error:
ERROR: void Partition::add() -> too many cells!

Before I re reprocess my data, what exactly is this error telling me?

I see that max_cells is set to 1000, but there is also max_cell_elements. Do both of these need to be increased?
Is there code I can write to print out what I should set these values too, like the max_singles error yields? For reference here is what max_singles error displays:
ERROR: Engine::do_no_match() -> too many shapes ... increase "max_singles" to at least 532

Just for some background I am processing 1 hour WRF precipitation on a grid of 693 by 863, using a threshold of 1 mm. The time periods giving me the error have large areas of precipitation.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

James Correia Jr
OU CIMMS Research Associate
SPC HWT Liaison