[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #46532] History for Question about the patch issued to fix PB2NC (UNCLASSIFIED)

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 17 14:08:55 MDT 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Our sysadm recently installed the patched version of METV2.0 which contained
the PB2NC bug fix announced Feb 23, 2011. I'm conducting tests on the impact
of this patch on my PrepBUFR data....more to follow on this by sep email.

I want to verify that this patch code contained the fix described below:

> This is the patch issued on or about April 23, 2010 to allow the reading
in of separate prepbufr and madis observation files

Quoted from John Halley Gotway below:

OK, I've made a minor change in the Point-Stat source code.  The
> updated version is attached.
>
> Here's the original piece of code:
>       cerr << "\n\nERROR: process_obs_file() -> "
>            << "can't open observation netCDF file: "
>            << obs_file[i_nc] << "\n\n" << flush;
>       exit(1);
>
> And here's the modified piece of code:
>       cout << "\n\nWARNING: process_obs_file() -> "
>            << "can't open observation netCDF file: "
>            << obs_file[i_nc] << "\n\n" << flush;
>       return;
>
> When one of the observation files passed to it doesn't exist, instead
> of exiting with an error message, it'll just print a warning message
> and process the remaining observation files.  I suspect that if you
> look closely at the output for those hours where the PREPBUFR file
> does not exist, you'll find an error message alerting you to that fact.

Thanks.
R/
John

Mr John W. Raby, Meteorologist
U.S. Army Research Laboratory
White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002
(575) 678-2004 DSN 258-2004
FAX (575) 678-1230 DSN 258-1230
Email: john.raby at us.army.mil

Subject: Re: [rt.rap.ucar.edu #46532] Question about the patch issued to fix PB2NC (UNCLASSIFIED)
From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu Apr 28 11:15:15 2011

John,

No, the patches for METv2.0 do not contain that change.  I did not
view that difference as a bug really.  Instead, it was more of a
design choice.  After our discussion, I did see your point that it'd
be more convenient to have the behavior you desired.  So I did
implement that change in the development version of the code and it
was released in both METv3.0 and METv3.0.1.  But the change is not
included as a bugfix for METv2.0, since it isn't really a bug.  So if
you download the METv2.0 code from the website and apply the patches
for METv2.0 dated 20110215, the code will NOT include that
change.

Fortunately, it's a very simple change to make.  You could just cut-
and-paste that few lines of code from one version of point_stat.cc
into another.

Hope that helps clarify.

john