[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #49125] History for questions about point_stat for upper-air

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Aug 23 09:33:07 MDT 2011

Hello Met Help,

I am testing out upper-air verification using point_stat, and I've noticed a couple "problems" with the program.

First of all, I have set up the following fcst and obs fields in the config file:
fcst_field[] = [ "TMP/PLLL-UUU", "DPT/PLLL-UUU", "SPFH/PLLL-UUU", "UGRD/PLLL-UUU", "VGRD/PLLL-UUU", "WIND/PLLL-UUU" ];
obs_field[]  = [ "TMP/PLLL-UUU", "DPT/PLLL-UUU", "SPFH/PLLL-UUU", "UGRD/PLLL-UUU", "VGRD/PLLL-UUU", "WIND/PLLL-UUU" ];

In each case, I substitute in a lower (LLL) and upper (UUU) range of pressure levels based on a script I have devised.

So here are the "problems" I encountered:

1.       In one of the model runs, the SPFH is output in the GRIB file, but not the DPT.  As a result, point_stat quits when it tries to process DPT when not available.  Is there a way to have point_stat continue to process  the rest of the variables in the fcst/obs fields without quitting when it does not find a variable?

2.       In the same vain, can point_stat compute DPT from the SPFH (or the other way around) in the instance that DPT or SPFH is available, but the other is not?

Thanks for the help!
Jonathan

Jonathan Case, ENSCO Inc.
NASA Short-term Prediction Research and Transition Center (aka SPoRT Center)
320 Sparkman Drive, Room 3062
Huntsville, AL 35805
Voice: 256.961.7504
Fax: 256.961.7788
Emails: Jonathan.Case-1 at nasa.gov / case.jonathan at ensco.com

"Whether the weather is cold, or whether the weather is hot, we'll weather
  the weather whether we like it or not!"