[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #38054] History for Re: other models in MET point_stat

RAL HelpDesk {for John Halley Gotway} ral-rt at rap.ucar.edu
Tue May 25 09:26:19 MDT 2010

Marlous,

The MET tools allow you to select different forecast and observation GRIB codes.  For example, here's an excerpt from the Grid-Stat configuration file:

//
// Specify a comma-separated list of fields to be verified.  The forecast and
// observation fields may be specified separately.  If the obs_field parameter
// is left blank, it will default to the contents of fcst_field.
//
// Each field is specified as a grib code or corresponding grib code
// abbreviation followed by an accumulation or vertical level indicator.
//
// Each verification field is specified as one of the following:
//    GC/ANNN for accumulation interval NNN
//    GC/ZNNN for vertical level NNN
//    GC/PNNN for pressure level NNN in hPa
//    GC/PNNN-NNN for a range of pressure levels in hPa
//    GC/LNNN for a generic level type
//    GC/RNNN for a specific GRIB record number
//    Where GC is the number of or abbreviation for the grib code
//    to be verified.
// http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table2.html
//
//    NOTE: To verify winds as vectors rather than scalars,
//          specify UGRD (or 33) followd by VGRD (or 34) with the
//          same level values.
//
//    NOTE: To process a probability field, add "/PROB", such as "POP/Z0/PROB".
//
// e.g. fcst_field[] = [ "61/A3", "APCP/A24", "RH/L10" ];
//
fcst_field[] = [ "61/A3" ];
obs_field[]  = [];

You'll notice separate setting for the forecast and observation fields.  If you treat WRF as the "forecast" and ECMWF as the "observation", you'd just list out the GRIB codes for each.  A word of
warning, MET doesn't do anything fancy with units.  For example, if you compare a temperature field in Celcius to a temperature field in Kelvin, it won't do any unit conversions for you.  It's your
responsibility to make sure that the units are comparable and to make sense of the verification output.

Hope that helps.

In the future, please send support questions directly to "met_help at ucar.edu".  We've set up a new tracking system for handling support requests.