[Met_help] Additional Info

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Tue May 18 13:23:38 MDT 2010

Bob,

Good news.  I've got something for you to try.  I've attached an R-script to this email.  I took it from the sample MODE R-script on the MET site:
   http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/downloads/analysis_scripts.php

But I modified it to include the computation you're after - centroid x,y offsets.

Here's how you can run it:
   Rscript mode_summary.R [mode_file_list]

Where mode_file_list is one or more MODE output files to process.  Listed below is what the output looks like when I ran it on the one MODE output file you sent me.  Hopefully, the output is pretty
self-explanatory.  The lines for "Cluster Pair Centroid X-Offsets" and "Cluster Pair Centroid Y-Offsets" give you summary info (min, 25th perc, median, mean, 75th perc, and max) about the offsets.  At
the end I'm dumping out the centroid (x, y) offset for each pair of cluster objects (fcst centroid - obs centroid).  You can easily comment out this line if it's too much info.

Now, I'm not sure how well this R-script will scale.  It may run slowly on a whole lot of data.  Give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

[johnhg at billiken]% Rscript mode_summary.R mode_TCDC_EATM_vs_CSDLF_EATM_000000L_20100312_000000V_000000A_obj.txt
Read 42 lines from MODE file: mode_TCDC_EATM_vs_CSDLF_EATM_000000L_20100312_000000V_000000A_obj.txt
Total Number of Files Processed = 1
Total Number of Single Objects = 18
Number of Single Fcst Objects = 7
Number of Matched Single Fcst Objects = 6
Number of Unmatched Single Fcst Objects = 1
Number of Single Obs Objects = 11
Number of Matched Single Obs Objects = 6
Number of Unmatched Single Obs Objects = 5
Total Number of Cluster Objects = 12
Total Number of Fcst Cluster Objects = 6
Total Number of Obs Cluster Objects = 6
Total Area of Objects = 13064
Area of Single Fcst Objects = 6704
Area of Matched Single Fcst Objects = 6344
Area of Unmatched Single Fcst Objects = 360
Area of Single Obs Objects = 6360
Area of Matched Single Obs Objects = 5878
Area of Unmatched Single Obs Objects = 482
Median of Max Interest by Fcst Object = 0.9045
Median of Max Interest by Obs Object = 0.9045
Median of Max Interest by Fcst+Obs Objects = 0.9045
Cluster Pair Centroid X-Offsets:
   Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
-8.7410 -4.4120  0.1646 -1.9120  0.9729  1.6330
Cluster Pair Centroid Y-Offsets:
   Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max.
-7.8910 -4.0280 -1.5140 -2.6010 -0.1621 -0.1100
Cluster Pair Centroid X,Y Offsets [6]:
(0.4142, -0.1100)
(1.6331, -0.3100)
(-0.0851, -2.7186)