[Met_help] Mode Analysis Question

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Mon May 17 10:08:00 MDT 2010

Bob,

Using MODE-Analysis, I believe that all you're getting is an average distance between the centroids of the matched objects.  Those values are contained in the "CENTROID_DIST" column.  The X,Y
locations of those centroids are contained in the output file, so one could compute the X and Y displacements, but MODE-Analysis isn't actually doing that.

Try running the following type of job:

   mode_analysis -lookin "your mode output files" \
   -summary -column centroid_dist -pair -cluster \
   -interest_min 0.7

This job will look through all the MODE output and pick out the lines that correspond to pairs of matched cluster objects.  From those lines, it'll extract the CENTROID_DIST column and give you
summary info about those values.  All the values in these lines correspond to matched clusters of objects - otherwise there wouldn't be an output line.  Next, try increasing the "-interest_min" value
from 0.7 to 0.8 and higher.  As you increase the minimum interest value, that'll select better and better matches.

You could also look at additional columns from those lines, like: BOUNDARY_DIST, AREA_RATIO, INTERSECTION_AREA, ...

Just let us know if you need further clarification.  Also, Randy wanted me to mention that the config file GUI should now be fixed.  Please give it a try and let us know if it's working with your
version of Internet Explorer:
   http://verif.rap.ucar.edu/cgi/metgui/base.cgi

met_help at ucar.edu