[Met_help] error in installation of MET V2.0

Paul Oldenburg pgoldenb at ucar.edu
Fri May 7 13:53:07 MDT 2010

Balachandran,

We think you may have a compiler problem.  Have you ever compiled any other C++
program using your PGI compiler?  If not, please try to compile and run a small
test program that includes the <cmath> library and the abs() function like this:

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>

int main()
{
    int i = -6;
    std::cout << "test result: " << abs(i) << endl;
}

If this small test program does not work, then there is a library or include
file conflict that is causing this error on your system.  This problem must be
fixed before you can compile MET.

If this small test program works, we suggest that you re-install and re-build
the MET third party libraries in a folder other than /usr/local.  The reason is
that installing the third party software in /usr/local may cause conflicts with
other libraries and include files.

Which version of the PGI compiler are you using?  I see the following path in
your Makefile: /usr/pgi/linux86/6.0/bin/pgCC.  Does that mean you are using
version 6?  We have been testing MET with PGI version 8.

Also, if you were not already reading the MET Online Tutorial section on
compilation, you may find it useful:

http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv2.0/compilation/index.php

Paul