[Met_help] MET Question

Derek.Stratman at noaa.gov Derek.Stratman at noaa.gov
Mon Mar 22 10:33:42 MDT 2010

First, allow me to introduce myself.  I'm a meteorology graduate student at Oklahoma
University, and my Master's research entails using MET in the verification of storm scale
models.  My research advisor is Mike Coniglio of NOAA/NSSL, and I'm also working with Tara
Jensen of NCAR/DTC and Steve Koch of GSD.

Recently, I've successfully ran the GridStat tool in MET, but I have a question about the
output from GridStat and the other MET tools, as well.  When a calculation fails due to
missing data, the MET tools output "N/A" in place of a numeric value.  Is it possible to output
a numeric value, such as "-999", instead?

I'm using NCL to read in the data and then plot it, but it's difficult to read in data with "N/A"
stuck in at random places.  NCL can skip those "N/A"s, but that also means it skips individual
columns, which offsets the data in each column.

Thanks so much for the future help!

Derek Stratman