[Met_help] Points of clarification for data conversion/usage in MODE

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Fri Mar 12 11:01:46 MST 2010

Matt,

Creating a GRIB file is a rather ambitious task I have never actually done myself.  If I were in your position, I'd actually reformat your binary data into a NetCDF file that looks like the output of
the PCP-Combine tool.  MODE can read either GRIB data or the NetCDF output of PCP-Combine.  There are a lot more utilities out there for writing NetCDF files than there are for writing GRIB files.

Use the "ncdump" utility to view the NetCDF output from PCP-Combine in the "METv2.0/out/pcp_combine" directory.  These files are created when you run the test script included with MET.  And just
mimick the file structure with your data.

If you choose to go that route, you'll probably need some help choosing the variable name and setting up the grid definition information in NetCDF header.  We're working on expanding our support for
NetCDF files for the next release of MET.  They're a lot easier to work with than GRIB files are.

Let me know how you plan to proceed and what other questions you have.