[Met_help] New MET code for processing ncdf MADIS files

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Mar 9 13:53:09 MST 2010

John,

OK, I took at look at your data and the config file.  Here's some things
to be aware of:

(1) You definitely do have observations over your domain in the western
US.  I've attached a plot showing the location of the observations.  This
was generated using a little plotting utility we may include in the next
release of MET.

(2) All of the observations in the NetCDF file you sent are of type
"MSONET".  So in the Point-Stat configuration file, I set:
   message_type[] = [ "MSONET" ];
I don't know the MADIS format enough to know whether this is correct.
Should all the observations be that same MSONET type?

(3) I ran the following command to look at the array of temperature
observation values in the NetCDF file:
   ncdump -v obs_arr obs-2006102212.nc | grep ", 11, " | more

The "11" in the output indicates that this is a temperature observation,
and the number after it tells you the pressure level for the ob.  You'll
see that there aren't really on the specific levels you were choosing for
verification: P200, P300, P500, P700, P850
There just aren't any observations that occur exactly at those pressure
levels.

Instead, I tried verifying using a range of pressure levels: TMP/P200-1200

Doing that, it found 153 matched pairs.  Also, if you widen the matching
time window (beg_ds and end_ds), it will find more matches.

I've attached the coinfig file I used to get the 153 matches.

(4) Lastly, I see that you'd also like to verify forecasts at the surface:
2-meter temp, 10-meter winds, and other surface vars
You should be aware the Point-Stat takes a very simplistic approach for
matching observations to surface fields - we inherited it from the NCEP
verification package we started with.  It's done based solely on message
type.  Observations of type "ADPSFC" and "SFCSHP" are considered by
definition to be at the surface.  So the only way you'll be able to verify
surface forecasts is using observations of those types.  So in your
madis2nc program, I'd suggest adding some logic to decide which
observations are at the surface and encode those as "ADPSFC".