[Met_help] problem with MET compilation

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 24 07:47:44 MST 2010

Hello,

MET needs to be compiled with a C++ and a Fortran compiler.  When using the GNU Compilers, we recommend the use of the "g++" C++ compiler and "gfortran" Fortran compiler.  There are two problems with
how you're trying to compile MET:
(1) You're using gcc, which is the C-compiler, not C++.
(2) ifort is the Intel-Fortran compiler.  When compiling MET, you should use the same family of compilers.  While I haven't actually tried it, mixing GNU compilers with Intel compilers isn't a good idea.

Please try compiling MET using g++ and gfortran.  Also, you may find it useful to step through the MET online tutorial, which starts with a section on compilation:
   http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv2.0/index.php
Please note that when you compile the required MET libraries, you should do so using the GNU compilers as well.  Here's the tutorial page that talks about that:
   http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv2.0/compilation/req_libs.php

And lastly, if you haven't already done so, I'd highly recommend getting the latest set of patches for METv2.0.  Just read the first section of the link below, follow the instructions, and you can
apply all the latest patches:
   http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/known_issues/METv2.0/index.php

Thanks and let us know if any more questions come up,
John Halley Gotway
met_help at ucar.edu