[Met_help] Fwd: pcp-combine

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 22 08:13:27 MST 2010

Tressa (and Jeff),

I have seen that type of error before.  It usually means there some weirdness in the GRIB files being used.  In the Product Description Section (PDS) of each GRIB record, there is a header value that
tells you how to interpret the time information in the file.  That value is called the "Time Range Indicator".  Here's a table that describes the options:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table5.html

When summing data up in PCP-Combine, we expect that the time range indicator will be set to 4 (meaning an accumulation time) for precipitation.  For some reason, it's not set to a value of 4.  And
this really may just be a symptom of larger problems reading this particular type of GRIB file.

It'd probably be easiest to just have Jeff send us a few sample GRIB files from this dataset.  I could run them through MET using the debugger and try to really diagnose the problem.  It would be
helpful to know where the data is from and how the GRIB files were created.