[Met_help] Observation "Level"

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 19 12:08:33 MST 2010

Jackie,

I'll try to answer your questions inline below...

jackie.miller at vaisala.com wrote:
> John,
>

> Thank you for the note.  We will look forward to hearing about the new
> updates in the Spring release of MET.
>

> In addition to what you described, we would like to use the Point-stat
> tool to compare sfc observations to a sfc forecast.  I believe that this
> is in fact possible with the current version.  Can you please clarify
> the necessary inputs for the following fields in the ascii observation
> file:

By convention, we consider 2-meter temperature and 10-meter winds to be surface forecasts.  And we consider observations of type ADPSFC or SFCSHP to be observations at the surface.
So when you verify 2-meter temperature, you should do so versus ADPSFC observations:
fcst_field[]   = [ "TMP/Z2" ];
message_type[] = [ "ADPSFC" ];

So in preparing you observations in ASCII2NC, set the message type to "ADPSFC".  And when you do that, you won't even need to specify a "level" value for them since Point-Stat won't use it.  So you
could set it to "-9999" for missing data.  Any observation with a message type of ADPSFC is assumed to be at the surface.

Let me point out that elevation and height (columns 6 and 9) are currently NOT being used in Point-Stat.  We put them in there as placeholders for future use.

Column 6: Elevation - this defines the elevation of the STATION in msl.  If you have the elevation, go ahead and put it in, but if not, just fill it with "-9999".  It is NOT used in Point-Stat.

Column 9: Height - this defines the height of the observation in msl.  If you have the height, go ahead and put it in, but if not, just fill it with "-9999".  It is NOT used in Point-Stat.  For
2-meter temperature, the height would be the elevation + 2.

Column 8: Level - this defines the the vertical level for the observation.  For 500-mb temperature, put in a value of 500.  For 2-meter temperature, put in a value of 2.  For an observation of wind at
60-meters, put in a value of 60.  For 12-hour accumulated precip, put in a value of 12.  But remember, if the message type is ADPSFC, the observation is assumed to be at the surface regardless of this
level value.

I'm sorry this is so confusing.  But hopefully we can get it working they way you'd like.

> -        Column 8 ("Level")
>
> o        In your original recommendation you suggested setting "level"
> to the height of the observation.  These obs are taken at 2m, so do I
> need to indicate that in this field (i.e. add 2m to the column 6
> ("height") value) or set it equal to column 6?  If the latter, then will
> column 6, 8, and 9 values all be equal?  (Elevation, Level, and Height)
>

> -        Column 1 ("Message type"): Should I set the message type to
> ADPSFC?

Yes, for surface observations, use "ADPSFC".  And for surface observations over water, use "SFCSHP".

> Also, for the grid-stat tool, the fcst_field[] variable must include a
> level indicator.  What is the MET convention for MSLP?  What would be
> the appropriate values for the level (PNNN)?

So you're interested in Mean Sea Level Pressure.  Take a look in your GRIB file to see what you have.  For example, in some test data I have, I found two different types of Mean Sea Level Pressure:
533:84600066:d=08122200:PRMSL:kpds5=2:kpds6=102:kpds7=0:TR=10:P1=0:P2=36:TimeU=1:MSL:36hr fcst:NAve=0
535:85023760:d=08122200:MSLET:kpds5=130:kpds6=102:kpds7=0:TR=10:P1=0:P2=36:TimeU=1:MSL:36hr fcst:NAve=0

PRMSL is GRIB code 2, and MSLET is GRIB code 130.  You can refer to this table:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table2.html

In both cases, the level value for these GRIB records is defined as 0.  So I'd try the following:
fcst_field[] = [ "PRMSL/Z0" ];

> Lastly, from playing with the grid-stat tool, it appears that you MUST
> specify fcst_thresh[] values even if you don't want to generate discrete
> statistics.  Is this the case?  I only wanted to generate continuous
> statistics but got an error that a threshold must be defined for each
> forecast field.

Yes, that is the case.  Just put in some dummy forecast threshold values in for each field you're verifying.  If you don't request categorical statistics, those thresholds won't actually be used.
Sorry for this inconvenience.  I suppose we should really on do that check if you've requested statistics in the output that actually do rely on a threshold being applied.

Just let me know if you need any more clarification.