[Met_help] MODE problem

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Feb 16 15:35:42 MST 2010

Jeff,

OK.  I think I know what's going on here.  Your forecast and observation
grids have the same dimension but are not identical.  There is a problem
in your call to copygb somewhere.

When MODE reads the forecast and observation data, it only checks to see
that NX and NY are the same.  It doesn't do a robust check of the grids to
make sure they're identical.  Because of the problem you're having, and a
similar problem another user had a couple weeks ago, we're planning to add
more robust checking of the grids for the next release of MET.

When you pass it the forecast and observation fields, MODE reads the grid
definition info from the forecast data.  It checks that the NX and NY of
the observation field match and assumes that the observation grid is the
same as the forecast grid.  It then uses the forecast grid the rest of the
way.

Here's what you should do.  Run both your forecast and observation GRIB
files through wgrib using the -V option:

wgrib -V forecast_file.grib
wgrib -V observation_file.grib

That'll dump out the grid definition information for the data.  I'm
guessing you'll find that they're very similar but off by a very small
amount.  You'll need to modify your call to copygb very slightly to get
them to be identical.  And once they are identical, your problem should be
solved.