[Met_help] Problem running Point-Stat tool

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 21 07:52:12 MDT 2009

Kathleen,

I see that you're trying to verify the NetCDF output of WRF directly in MET.  Unfortunately, MET is not able to do that.  Instead, you'll need to run your WRF datasets through the WRF PostProcessor
(WPP).  The output of WPP is a GRIB version 1 file, which MET is set up to read.

MET wasn't designed to read the NetCDF output of WRF directly for 2 reasons:
(1) We require that the data be placed on a regular grid, as opposed to the staggered grids used in WRF.
(2) We require that the data be placed on pressure levels in the vertical, as opposed to model levels.  When matching observations to the forecast, the observation's pressure is used to do
interpolation in the vertical.

So in order to use MET, you'll need to run your data through WPP.  FYI, in future releases of MET, we do plan to add support for the output of the "pinterp" tool which is available for WRF-ARW users.