[Met_help] converting sfc obs to ascii

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Sep 10 14:26:19 MDT 2009

Kathleen,

The short answer to your first question is to put -9999 in the "level"
column for ADPSFC observations to indicate missing data.  When verifying
at the surface Point-Stat does not actually use the "level" value.
Instead, it assumes that any point observations with a message type of
"ADPSFC" are at the surface.  So that's why you can put in missing data.

You could also put -9999 in the columns for "elevation" and "height" for
ADPSFC observations since they won't actually be used by Point-Stat for
the same reason.

Regarding the station name, you're welcome to use whatever string you'd
like.  Just don't embed any spaces or funny characters.  Point-Stat only
actually uses the station name when the user sets the "mask_sid" option in
the Point-Stat configuration file.  Please see the config file or MET
User's Guide for a description of that.  So use whatever string you'd like
for the station name.

Just let us know if any more questions arise in your use of MET.

johnhg at ucar.edu