[Met_help] using NCEP stage IV data

Hutchinson, Todd thutchinson at wsi.com
Thu Sep 10 06:31:19 MDT 2009

We are currently verifying WRF precip forecasts using NCEP stage IV
data.  The NCEP stage IV data is a composite of regional data, and
occasionally regions are missing from the composite.  The missing areas
are masked using a bitmap in the grib1 encoding.  I've attached an
example image of stage IV data.  The blue region is where data exists
and the black region is the region that is masked out.

I'm wondering how the grid_stat tool handles the missing regions,
especially when calculating GSS.  That is, what does grid_stat do with
precip points where WRF forecast data is available, but stage IV data is
not available (it's masked out)?

We're verifying both the 'FULL' domain and the domain using the
CONUS.poly region.

Thank you.

Todd Hutchinson