[Met_help] MET MODE Analysis - No Centroid X and Y Data

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 27 08:10:09 MDT 2009

Bob,

It's all in that one "mode_*_obj.txt" file.

Let's step through an example.  Please take a look in the directory "METv2.0/out/mode" at the PostScript file named:
mode_APCP_12_SFC_vs_APCP_12_SFC_120000L_20050807_120000V_120000A.ps

Also, open up the corresponding stats file named:
mode_APCP_24_SFC_vs_APCP_24_SFC_240000L_20050808_000000V_240000A_obj.txt

In this example, there are 7 simple forecast objects and 4 simple observed objects.  Take a look in the column labeled "OBJECT_ID" in the stats file.  The first 7 lines, named "F001...F007" contain
information about the 7 simple forecast objects.  The next 4 lines, named "O001...O004" contain information about the 4 simple observed objects.

The next 10 lines, with "F00A_O00B" in the OBJECT_ID column, contain information about the pairs of simple objects, where A goes from 1 to 7 and B goes from 1 to 4.

The next 2 lines, named "CF001...CF002", contain information about the "cluster" forecast objects.  And the next 2 lines, named "CO001...CO002", contain information about the "cluster" observation
objects.

And the last 2 lines, named "CF00A_CO00B", contain information about the pairs of cluster objects.

Are you interested in the differences between pairs of SIMPLE objects or pairs of CLUSTER objects?

For pairs of simple objects, you'll need to parse the lines named "F00A_O00B" in the OBJECT_ID column.  Let's look at the simple object pair "F006_O004" - those are both green objects in the
PostScript plot.  Look at the line with "F006_O004" for the CENTROID_DIST value. For "F006_O004", that distance is 7.35.  Next, you'll parse that string "F006_O004" down into the simple objects being
compared "F006" and "O004".  You'll look in the OBJECT_ID column for those lines and find that "F006" has a centroid (x, y) of (72.71, 39.69).  And that "O004" has a centroid (x, y) of (65.39
40.33).  If you do the math, the distance between those two centroids does work out to be 7.35 grid squares.  So you could use those centroid (x, y) values to compute the x-offset and y-offset.  In
this case, the forecast object was offset 7.32 grid square in the x-direction and -0.64 grid squares in the y-direction.

For pairs of cluster objects, you'd do the exact same thing, but using the "CF00A_CO00B" pair lines and the "CF00A" and "CO00B" single object lines.  In this example, "F006" belongs to forecast
cluster object "CF002" and "O004" belongs to observed cluster object "CO002".  Looking at the line "CF002_CO002", the CENTROID_DIST is 6.46.  And looking at the lines for "CF002" and "CO002", their
centroids are (72.71, 39.69) and (66.70, 42.04).  So for this pair of cluster objects, the x-offset is 6.01 and the y-offset is -2.35.