[Met_help] question about METv2.0

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 19 09:07:02 MDT 2009

Pavel,

MET was originally designed to serve the needs of the NWP modeling community, specifically users of the WRF model.  Therefore, it's set up to handle gridded forecasts.  So the answer to your question
is no, there is no MET tool designed to compare point forecasts to point observations.  However, you're not the first user to ask about such functionality.  If enough users are interested in it, we
could provide that capability in a future release.  That being said, there is a workaround you're welcome to try...

The MET Point-Stat tool compares a gridded forecast to point observations.  One of the possible outputs of Point-Stat is a line type called "MPR" for "matched pair" data.  A matched pair is a forecast
value and the corresponding observation value for a given variable at a specific point in space and time.  So Point-Stat has the ability to dump out the raw fcst/obs matched pairs that went into the
computation of its statistics.

Next, the MET STAT-Analysis tool has the ability to read this MPR output of the Point-Stat tool and perform many types of "jobs" on it, such as computing various types of statistics.

So the work-around would be for you to reformat you matched fcst/obs pairs to look like the MPR output of the Point-Stat tool.  Save the reformatted data into a file ending in ".stat".  And then run
that file through the STAT-Analysis tool to compute whatever types of statistics you'd like.

If you're interested in pursuing this, I'd suggest taking a look in the users guide at the format of the MPR line type.  It's just an ASCII format with a bunch of header columns and then the matched
pair values.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this.

johnhg at ucar.edu