[Met_help] PWAT verification with MET Tools

Thomas Schwitalla Thomas.Schwitalla at uni-hohenheim.de
Thu Nov 19 08:35:17 MST 2009

John,

now it works! I haven't looked at the website for a while, this was my
mistake in this case...

Thanks a lot for your effort

Thomas

John Halley Gotway schrieb:
> Thomas,
>
> Good news.  I was able to reproduce the segmentation fault you're seeing.  For the longest time, it was running fine on my code.  And then I realized that I'm running with the latest patches for
> METv2.0, while you may not be.  So I reverted back to the originally released code, and I layered on the 2 changes I had sent you.  And then I did see the segmentation fault.
>
> The good news is that the latest set of patches posted on the MET website fixes this problem.  I'm not exactly sure which patch fixes it, but it shouldn't matter.
>
> Please do the following:
> (1) Retrieve the latest set of patches from:
> http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/known_issues/METv2.0/patches/METv2.0_patches_20091022.tar.gz
>
> (2) Place that tar file into your top-level METv2.0 directory, and untar it:
> tar -xvzf METv2.0_patches_20091022.tar.gz
>
> (3) That will overwrite several source code files with the latest patches.  Unfortunately, one of the files which will be overwritten is "read_grib.cc" which we updated a couple days ago with that
> patch.  Please go ahead and apply the patches first.  Second, copy the attached file "read_grib.cc" into METv2.0/lib/vx_met_util/read_grib.cc.  The attached version includes the patch I sent you a
> couple days ago.
>
> (4) Then rebuild MET being sure to do a "make clean" first.
>
> Hope that does the trick.

> Thomas Schwitalla wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>> unfortunately this does not work. When I look into the core file with
>> gdb, it contains the following:
>>
>> Core was generated by `./point_stat
>> /taifun/20070720_cops_WRF_sensitivity/assim/wrf_files/postprd/WRFP'.
>>
>> Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
>>
>> [New process 26026]
>>
>> #0  0x0000000000440cf7 in GCPairData::compute_interp ()
>>

>> Is it possible, that sth. is wrong with my observations?
>>
>> Thomas
>>
>> John Halley Gotway schrieb:
>>
>>> Thomas,
>>>
>>> I'm able to run that data without a problem.  I'm not sure what the
>>> source of your problem is.  Please try redirecting the output to some
>>> directory other than the default one.
>>> For example, try this:
>>>
>>>   mkdir ~/met_out
>>>   ./point_stat
>>> /taifun/20070720_cops_WRF_sensitivity/assim/wrf_files/postprd/WRFPRS_2007072000_d01.000
>>> \
>>>                20070720_pwat.nc \
>>>                PointStatConfig \
>>>                -v 3 -outdir ~/met_out
>>>
>>> Perhaps there's some problem with where it's trying to create the
>>> output files.
>>>
>>> John

*Thomas Schwitalla                      *
*Institute of Physics and Meteorology   *
*University of Hohenheim                *
*Garbenstrasse 30                       *
*70599 Stuttgart                        *
*Germany                                *
*Tel.: +49 711 459 22154                *