[Met_help] question

John Halley Gotway johnhg at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 5 08:08:28 MST 2009

Holly,

Right now you are using the Point-Stat tool to compare a gridded forecast to point observations.  Point-Stat is the only statistics tool in MET that handles point observations.  The MODE tools
(Grid-Stat and Wavelet-Stat too) can only be run to compare two gridded fields - typically a gridded forecast vs gridded observation or analysis field.

MET won't be able to help you generate a plot of the FCST - OBS values.  If I were in your position, I'd probably do something like the following:

(1) Run my data through Point-Stat and turn on the MPR (matched pair) output line in the Point-Stat configuration file.  This dumps out 1 line of ASCII output for each FCST - OBS matched pair value
that MET computed.

(2) Choose a plotting tool.  I'd probably use NCL (NCAR Command Language) or R (www.r-project.org).  But others, like IDL, may work too.

(3) Use that plotting tool to read the MPR output of Point-Stat.  Each MPR line contains lat/lon info.  So I'd process each line, use the lat/lon value to place it on a plot, and then plot the
difference value.