[Met_help] soil verification in point_stat

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Fri May 8 11:15:30 MDT 2009

Jonathan,

As a short answer I'd say, yes, you could probably use Point-Stat to verify soil moisture and temperature observations from WRF.

...BUT... I don't think you'll be able to do any vertical interpolation without some code changes.  Right now, Point-Stat is only set up to do vertical interpolation for pressure levels... and that's
done linear in the log of pressure.

Here's what I'd recommend...

(1) Take a look at the soil moisture and temperature fields you have from WRF.  Depending on which "surface scheme" (I think that's right) you're using, the soil moisture fields may be at a single
levels or a layer of levels.  If it's in layers, you probably wouldn't want to interpolate in the vertical.  You'd just like to match the observation to the forecast value for the layer in which the
observation falls.  If it's single levels, you may want to consider interpolating.

(2) Take a look at the observation levels.  Are they all at some set of "standard" depths or do the depths vary greatly?

Here's one approach that may be pretty easy:
- Assuming that your forecasts are in single levels.
- Assuming that your observations are at some set of "standard" depths.
- When you pre-process the observations to prepare them for ASCII2NC, just round the level value for the observation to the nearest depth you have in your model output.
- Then run Point-Stat to verify at each of your model depths (i.e. no vertical interpolation).
- You could even dump out the matched pair (MPR) line type for all of the levels and use the Stat-Analysis tool to aggregate across levels

I've never done this before, but you could *probably* do that approach with no code changes.  However, if you'd like to do more sophisticated vertical interpolation, I may be able to point you in the
right direction as for what code to modify.