[Met_help] Running point stat
John Halley Gotway
johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu May 7 11:43:38 MDT 2009
Try using a text editor that does not do word wrapping.
For example, I often use the "kwrite" editor. Under "Settings->Configure Editor", in the "Appearance" section, I make sure that "Dynamic Word Wrap" is not selected.
Or using the "vim" editor, the command "set nowrap" turns off word wrapping.
Once the word wrapping is turned off, it's a lot easier to read!
Gurer, Kemal at ARB wrote:
> Hi John,
> I am sure I will need their advice. I first need to decipher all those
> headers. Good golly! What were they thinking when they were putting
> those gazillion identifiers?
> -----Original Message-----
> From: John Halley Gotway [mailto:johnhg at rap.ucar.edu]
> Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 10:31 AM
> To: Gurer, Kemal at ARB; met_help
> Subject: Re: [Met_help] Running point stat
> Great. Glad it's working for you!
> If you have any questions about interpreting the output, I'd refer you
> to one of the statisticians in our group. They have a lot of good
> advice to offer.
> Gurer, Kemal at ARB wrote:
>> Hello John,
>> I really appreciate your help. Yes, that was the problem. The funny
>> thing is that, however, the original point observation file that I had
>> created has the "ADPSFC" in it. When I converted that to point file, I
>> don't understand how it omitted "D". I must have used an earlier
>> of it. We have a saying: Two eyes are better than one. I might miss a
>> very subtle mistake. But, when someone else looks at it, he/she might
>> catch it right away.
>> Now, I need to start studying the output, which is another story.
>> You are great. Thank you so much for your help again. Have a wonderful
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: John Halley Gotway [mailto:johnhg at rap.ucar.edu]
>> Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 9:56 AM
>> To: Gurer, Kemal at ARB
>> Cc: met_help
>> Subject: Re: [Met_help] Running point stat
>> Good news. I found the problem. It's just a typo in the message type
>> that you're using for your point observations. You're using "APSFC"
>> the message type, when it should be "ADPSFC". Try
>> correcting that typo and rerunning. Hopefully that'll fix the
>> Gurer, Kemal at ARB wrote:
>>> Hi John,
>>> Since you have the input GRIB and netcdf data, if you could try to
>>> replicate the problem, that would be really big help. I would
>>> any help that you could give since I am only at the beginning of my
>>> Thank you for your consideration of my request for help.
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: John Halley Gotway [mailto:johnhg at rap.ucar.edu]
>>> Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 9:02 AM
>>> To: Gurer, Kemal at ARB
>>> Cc: met_help
>>> Subject: Re: [Met_help] Running point stat
>>> Thank you very much for sending the details of the MM5 to GRIB
>>> conversion process. I passed them along to the other MET user.
>>> Good luck debugging the date issue with the GRIB file. While I
>>> be able to help much in debugging the MM5 to GRIB conversion step,
>>> be happy to answer any questions you may have about
>>> running those GRIB files in MET.
>>> Gurer, Kemal at ARB wrote:
>>>> Hello John,
>>>> Thank you for contacting me on this issue. In fact, let me give you
>>>> new tar file in which there is one hour of MM5 data with all steps
>>>> converting MM5 sigma levels to pressure, then into grib1 files, and
>>>> running MET on the output files, including all source code, so other
>>>> user can go through the steps after we figure out what to do. I am
>>>> including a README.1st file that I wrote to remember how I did all
>>>> calculations in the future file within compare.with.MET subdirectory
>>>> which explains the process step by step. Most important step is
>>>> MM5toGRIB routine which was provided by scientists in Spain.
>>>> I placed the new tar file to our anonymous site for you to retrieve:
>>>> You can get the source code for MM5toGRIB module including many
>>>> utilities from here:
>>>> (in the middle of that web page, you will see the link for
>>>> You will find compiled MM5toGRIB code in my tar file, as well.
>>>> As I was writing this e-mail, I got your next e-mail with your
>>>> suggestions to debug the problem. In fact, that is exactly what I
>>>> thought. I tried "FULL" in spatial comparisons. And, I checked the
>>>> periods. Only thing that didn't quite make sense is the order of
>>>> file based on the help given in README file in MM5toGRIB
>>>> It seems like the order of parameters (particularly the date)
>>>> grib1 file is not correct, based on the above link. I am still
>>>> debug it.
>>>> Thank you very much for helping me on this issue. I will still
>>>> your suggestions one more time to find the problem.
>>>> With regards,
More information about the Met_help