[Met_help] fm theo carter dubai re: failure during make

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed May 6 15:24:18 MDT 2009

Theo,

Good news.  When I compile the current version of BUFRLIB using
gcc/gfortran, I see the exact same warning and error messages.  In fact,
when I use gfortran on the latest version of Debian Linux (Lenny), I see
even more warning messages.

I've also been in touch with BUFRLIB support about this, and they're aware
of the issue with compiling BUFRLIB with the GNU compilers.  There is a
very simple fix to get that file "nvnwin.f" to compile without error.
However, I don't believe that you need it to get MET working.

Try compiling BUFRLIB using the following 3 commands:
      gcc -c -DUNDERSCORE *.c
      gfortran -c -DUNDERSCORE -fno-second-underscore *.f *.F
      ar crv libbufr.a *.o

Ignore the warnings and error, and then try building MET.  I believe it
should work fine.

If you'd like to get rid of that BUFRLIB error message, you're welcome to
replace your version of the file "BUFRLIB/nvnwin.f" with the version I've
attached.  It includes the simple fix which should get rid of that error
message from gfortran.

Thanks and good luck,