[Met_help] Asking for a little help

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Jun 16 07:46:06 MDT 2009

Kefeng,

Good questions.

I have a question for you.  Do you by any chance have "R" available on your system?  It's an open-source statistical scripting language.  If so, try running the R code I've attached on some of your
MODE output files.  Here's how you'd run it:

Rscript mode_summary.R mode_*_obj.txt
(where "mode_*_obj.txt" grabs one or more MODE output object stats files)

This Rscript summarizes one or more MODE output files.  I've also attached an ASCII file named "mode_summary_example.txt" that gives sample output from this script.

OK, getting to your question... here's how CSI is defined:
CSI = (hits)/(hits + misses + false alarms)

You can actually compute CSI on MODE output one of two ways, with regards to object counts or object areas:

(1) With regards to object counts:
hits         = (count of fcst matches + count of obs matches)/2
misses       = (count of unmatched obs objects)
false alarms = (count of unmatched fcst objects)

(2) With regards to object areas:
hits         = (area of fcst matches + area of obs matches)/2
misses       = (area of unmatched obs objects)
false alarms = (area of unmatched fcst objects)

Hopefully, somewhere in the MWR article, it'll say which method was used for computing this type of object-based CSI.  All of these counts and areas should show up in the output of "mode_summary.R".
If you're comfortable using R, I'd suggest modifying the script to compute these CSI values for you.

Personally, I like computing CSI using areas, but I think you'll find that this leads to very large values of CSI that are very often near 1.