[Met_help] Output format MET Tools

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Jul 30 08:41:10 MDT 2009

Thomas,

OK, I understand.  Unfortunately, we can't ensure alignment across files in a really general way.  However, MET should be doing a good job lining up data nicely into columns within any single file.

One reason why we can't choose fixed column widths is the "MODEL" column.  The user chooses a string to describe the model name so as to differentiate between models they're evaluating.  Since the
user can choose any string for that, we can't anticipate what column width should be used.

I tried running a "filter" job through the STAT-Analysis tool hoping that it'd line up the STAT data nicely into columns.  However, it didn't.  And I understand why.  If you ran that type of filter
job over a whole lot of STAT data, lining it up nicely would use up a lot of memory.

I looked through the code that writes that STAT data and there is no easy way of hard coded the column widths to be used.

One solution would be to add a new job to the STAT-Analysis tool, name is something like "align", that just reads the input STAT data and lines it up like you'd need.  Does that sound like it'd meet
your needs?  You'd need to run that STAT-Analysis job on the STAT output before reading it with your FORTRAN code.

John