[Met_help] Compiling METv2.0

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Jul 6 14:48:16 MDT 2009

Ed,

So you (1) rebuilt BUFRLIB using pgf77 and then (2) tried rebuilding MET.
But you still saw the same errors.

Those errors really look like they're still coming from BUFRLIB being
compiled with pgf90.  In fact, I tried myself compiling BUFRLIB using
pgf90 and then linking a build of MET to that version of BUFRLIB.  I was
able to reproduce exactly the same error messages you're seeing.

Here's what you can do.  Execute the command:
nm /usr/local/lib/libbufr.a

That will list the contents of the BUFRLIB library to which MET is
linking.  If you see a bunch of "pgf90" strings in there, you'll know that
BUFRLIB still isn't compiled properly.

If that's the case try recompiling BUFRLIB again:
cd /usr/local/src/BUFRLIB
rm *.o *.a
pgcc -c -DUNDERSCORE *.c
pgf77 -c -DUNDERSCORE -Mnosecond_underscore *.f *.F
ar crv libbufr.a *.o
cp libbufr.a /usr/local/lib/.

And then try recompiling MET again.  I'm wondering if you did rebuild it
using pgf77, but forget to copy it over to /usr/local/lib.  That's where
you've set in the Makefile for the linker to look.

Let me know how it goes.  It looks like there may be some other errors
after the BUFRLIB ones that we'll need to address.  But let's fix this
BUFRLIB issue first.

John