[Met_help] Re: Questions about point_stat

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Jan 22 10:09:07 MST 2009

Ed,

You're right, Point-Stat does expect the message type field to be filled.  I believe that you could make up your own - although I've never done exactly what you're doing before, so I'm not positive.
I believe that NCEP generally uses "MC_PCP" as a precipitation message type.  So you could use that convention if you like.

As for the model name, it's included in the configuration file for exactly the reason your asking about.  When verifying output from multiple models, you should choose a descriptive "model" name that
will allow you differentiate the verification results for each model.  Suppose for example that you're verifying WRF runs with two different sets of physics options.  You might choose models names of
"WRF_PH1" and "WRF_PH2".  All the MET tools do with the model name is copy it to the output data.  So now you'll be able to distinguish the results of the two models based on the model name in the
output.  Please note though that since the model names are different, you'd need to use two different configuration files - one for each model.

Thanks for the heads up about the typos.  We'll fix them for the next release.