[Met_help] Re: PointStat results over multiple times combined (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tressa Fowler tressa at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 7 17:05:59 MST 2009

Barb,

Correlation (and some other stats like mean squared error and
variance) are accumulated from the sums of squares in the point-stat
output, so there is no need to return to the original data.

This confusion is fairly common among those familiar with the
equations for correlation that involve sample means and sample
standard deviations. Those values cannot be used directly to get an
overall correlation. However, there are equivalent formulas for
correlation using sums of squares and sample sizes, which can be added
up over a bunch of forecasts to yield the appropriate values for
correlation and mean squared error.

Tressa