[Met_help] Using MET with fcst_lead >= 100 h

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed Dec 23 14:37:02 MST 2009

John,

Regarding WPP, I really don't think that you'll have a problem.  I'm
currently working on a project with folks from NOAA where we're creating
forecasts out to 114 hours and are running the most recently released
version of WPP just fine.  You would only potentially have an issue if you
were running your forecasts out > 255 hours.

Regarding issues with MET, you're probably correct.  I think this would
come up in your use of the MODE-Analysis and STAT-Analysis tools.  That's
the place you'd be specifying the forecast lead time in the config file or
 on the command line.  I believe it would be a pretty easy fix involving
changes to the "timestring_to_sec" routine in the file
METv2.0/lib/vx_cal/time_strings.cc.

However, before making any changes, I'd like to do some testing to make
sure it really is a problem.  And once I verify that, I'll work on a fix.
If I isolate the problem and come up with a fix, I'd post it to the MET
website and update the package of bug fixes.

I'll let you know how it pans out.  Please let me know if, in your use of
MET, you find another place where it's a problem to have forecast hours >
99.