[Met_help] Copygb usage

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Aug 21 08:16:58 MDT 2009

David,

Just to let you know, I do not generally provide support for the copygb utility.  However I do provide support for the Model Evaluation Tools (http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/) which is a
verification package for the NWP modeling community.  Several MET users make use of the copygb utility for regridding their GRIB1 datasets output from the WRF model/WRF PostProcessor.

But the answer to your question is no, copygb does not currently support GRIB2 files.  And to my knowledge NCEP hasn't provided a version that does.

Here's the usage statement for copygb:

Usage: copygb [-g "grid [kgds]"] [-i "ip [ipopts]"] [-k "kpds"] [-v "uparms"]
              [-B mapgrib [-b mapindex] [-A "<> mapthreshold"] [-K "mapkpds"]]
              [-M "mask"/mergegrib [-m mergeindex]] [-X] [-a] [-N namelist]
       then either:
              grib1 index1 grib2
            or:
              -x grib1 grib2

The "grib2" in there is a little misleading.  The usage statement uses "grib1" and "grib2" to indicate file1 and file2, not to imply that it supports the GRIB2 file format.

So in order to use copygb, you'd first need to convert the GFS GRIB2 files back to GRIB1 format.  NCEP does provide a utility that does this called "cnvgrib": http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/codes/GRIB2/
But you'll need to download and build this code locally.

Once you do get your data in GRIB1 format and begin using copygb, I've found the file "copygb.doc" (distributed with copygb in "sorc/copygb/copygb.doc") to provide the most useful help information.

Hope that helps!

John Halley Gotway
johnhg at ucar.edu