[Met_help] what are the input files when doing MET probability verification

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Aug 13 12:48:20 MDT 2009

Jiangshan Zhu,

Verification of probabilities has been added to the latest version of MET,
METv2.0.  If you're using an earlier version, you'll need to upgrade to
METv2.0.

Both the Grid-Stat and Point-Stat tools within MET can be used the verify
probabilities.  Which tool you run depends on the type of observation data
you have.  If you want to verify using point observations, you'll use the
Point-Stat tool.  If you want to verify using gridded observations, you'll
use the Grid-Stat tool.

Please take a look in the MET User's Guide for information about verifying
probabilities:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/docs/users_guide/MET_Users_Guide_v2.0_rev2.pdf

Just search the document for "probabilit" and you'll find information
about it.

Also, the test script for Grid-Stat (METv2.0/scripts/test_grid_stat.sh)
includes a case of verifiying a Probability of Precip forecast.  You can
refer to that for an example.

The online tutorial for METv2.0 also contains a sample of running
Grid-Stat on a probability field:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/online_tutorial/METv2.0/grid_stat/index.php

Any gridded data you read in MET will need to be in GRIBv1 format or a
very specialized flavor of NetCDF that looks like the output of the
PCP-Combine tool.  We're working to generalize our support of NetCDF for
the next release.  Any point observations you'd like to use must first be
run either through the PB2NC or ASCII2NC tool.

johnhg at ucar.edu