[Met_help] WRF_MET help

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Tue Aug 4 08:18:30 MDT 2009

Forbes,

The answer to your first question is YES, you can just use the "FULL" grid mask to verify over the whole domain.  When running Grid-Stat, you must specify at least one masking region, and masking
regions can be defined using the "mask_grid" and/or the "mask_poly" parameter in the config file.

However, let me caution you that I just found a small bug related to the "FULL" grid mask for Lambert Conformal grids.  It has the effect of masking out a handful of points along the boundary of the
domain.  We'll be posting a bug fix for this issue to the MET website within the next few days.  Check here for updates later this week:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/support/known_issues/METv2.0/index.php

Regarding your second question, MET is not really a plotting package.  If you'd like to create plots of your forecast and observation data, I'd suggest using other plotting packages like NCL, IDV, or
whatever plotting tool you prefer.  But more to the point, I think you'll have trouble using that 72 hour file in Grid-Stat.  I assume you mean that you have a single NetCDF file that contains data
for 12 different 6-hourly accumulations.  Grid-Stat really expects that each file will contain data for a single point in time.  You won't be able to tell Grid-Stat which time period of data to use
from that file.  To run it through Grid-Stat, you'd need to break that 72-hour file out into 12 6-hourly files.  Hopefully I understood your question!

Also, let me point out that Grid-Stat doesn't read all formats of NetCDF.  In METv2.0, it expects that NetCDF files will look like the output of the PCP-Combine tool.  We're working to generalize our
support for NetCDF in future versions of MET.

johnhg at ucar.edu