[Met_help] Met_help post from bsauter at arl.army.mil

Tressa Fowler tressa at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 16 16:49:59 MDT 2009

Barb,

Here is a nice description that John wrote about the output. I
apparently neglected to include it in the new documentation. Thank you
for catching the omission.

Tressa

1. For the “ROW_MEAN_WDIR” line, each of the input VL1L2 lines is
treated separately and given equal weight.  The mean forecast wind
direction, mean observation wind direction, and the associated error
are computed for each of these lines.  Then the means are computed
across all of these forecast wind directions, observation wind
directions, and their errors.

2. For the “AGGR_WDIR” line, the input VL1L2 lines are first
aggregated into a single line of partial sums where the weight for
each line is determined by the number of points it represents.  From
this aggregated line, the mean forecast wind direction, observation
wind direction, and the associated error are computed and written out.