[Met_help] Question, comments

Correia, James james.correia at pnl.gov
Mon Sep 29 16:21:03 MDT 2008

Hi
I have been using MODE on 3 hourly rainfall from a regional climate model
(i.e. Been staring at a lot of data).

Question:
Is there a way to turn off 1 or 2 of the plots produced by MODE in the
output postscript file?

I have been working on the assumption that only 1 time per input file is
required. Is this correct or can MODE handle more than 1 time per file?

Comments:
I generally like the way code operates. However, with 3 hourly output or
longer there is a dependency that large rainfall rate grid boxes, once
convolved, effectively increase the area of the object. In one instance I
have a precipitation field that is relatively broken (mixed low and high
precipitation rates and zero's). The resulting object is quite large
stretching from corner of the domain to the southern end of the domain. If
you would like I can send an image.

Is it possible that an additional measure be output that includes the
percent of the object area with restored grid point precipitation values
which fall at or below the 1st and/or second threshold value? I guess this
would be a confidence measure indicating if this object is uniformly filled
or chaotically filled.

Generally I have been playing with both threshold values, and the convolved
radius. I am only working with model data so I am not merging objects.

Thanks
jimmyc

James Correia Jr., PhD
Climate Physics Group
Post. Doc.
Pacific Northwest National Lab

"Wisdom. Strength. Courage. Generosity. Each of us are born with one of
these. It is up to us to find the other three inside of us."
-Into the West