[Met_help] WRF NetCDF output for MET?

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Sep 22 10:34:43 MDT 2008

Tony,

MET does not read the WRF NetCDF output directly.  First the WRF output files must be post-processed onto a regular grid and interpolated to pressure levels.  The WRF-PostProcessor performs these
functions and writes out GRIB version 1 files.  And MET supports gridded data in GRIB format for this reason.

Please refer to chapter 3 of the MET user's guide for a discussion of data formats:
http://www.dtcenter.org/met/users/docs/users_guide/MET_Users_Guide_v1.1.pdf

The WRF-PostProcessor is available via the NMM downloads page: http://www.dtcenter.org/wrf-nmm/users/downloads/index.php
It works on model output for both the NMM and ARW cores.

A second tool is available for post-processing the WRF output files - destaggering the grid and interpolating to pressure levels - the ARWPost program.  ARWPost writes its output in NetCDF format.
We're planning to include support for the NetCDF output of ARWPost in the next release of MET, version 2.0 in February 2009.

ARWPost is available via the ARW downloads page: http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/download/get_source.html
However it is only compatible with model output from the ARW core.

johnhg at ucar.edu