[Met_help] [trouble shooting at compile METv1.1]

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Mon Sep 8 11:06:12 MDT 2008

Soyoung,

In looking at your logfile, it looks like the linker is having problems with the NetCDF library to which you're linking.  And it appears that you're using the PGI compilers.

Can you check to make sure that the NetCDF library you're using (in /home3/now/usr/local/netcdf-3.6.1) was also built with the PGI compilers?  You'll need to link to a version of NetCDF built with the
SAME family of compilers you're using to build MET.

Also, it looks like there's trouble linking to the GSL library.  For some reason, it's linking to the file "libgsl.so" rather than the file "libgsl.a" that it's supposed to link to.

When you set up your Makefile, did you start with the Makefile_pgi file?  The "-Bstatic" flag is used in that file for PGI compilers to fix the GSL issue you're seeing.

Please do the following:
(1) Reconfigure the top-level MET Makefile, being sure to begin with the "Makefile_pgi" file.
(2) In the top-level MET directory, do a:  make clean
(3) Try rebuilding MET with:  make >& make.log&
(4) Send me a copy of your top-level MET "Makefile" and the file "make.log".

Hopefully we can figure this out.

johnhg at ucar.edu