[Met_help] VSDB filtering

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Fri Oct 31 16:21:28 MDT 2008

Walford,

I see what's going on here...

The following line is in your config file: line_type[] = ["FHO>=0.0"];

However, when you look closely at your Grid-Stat VSDB file, you'll see that there are no lines that actually contain "FHO>=0.0", but there are some that say "FHO>0.000".  The filtering option has to
match EXACTLY what's in the output.

But judging by the types of jobs you're trying to run in the "joblist" parameter, I don't think you want to set the "line_type" parameter to anything.
So set: line_type[] = [];

Let me describe the logic for how the VSDBAnalysis config file is set up.  It's basically split into 2 pieces.  The first piece contains a whole bunch of filtering parameters that define how you'd
like to parse down the input data into the subset in which you're interested.  The second piece contains the "joblist" which defines what jobs you'd actually like to do on the data that's retained.

Suppose you start with 10,000 VSDB lines as input to the VSDB-Analysis tool, and after the filtering of the first step, you end up retaining 1,000 of them.  Next, for each job in the "joblist" you may
define ADDITIONAL filtering options.  So for one job, you may filter out 200 of those 1,000 lines and run a summary job for those lines.  For a second job, you may filter out 500 of the 1,000 lines
and run an aggregation job.

The point is this... the filtering parameters set in the first part are applied to ALL of the jobs.  Then the additional filter parameters set in the job command line only apply to that individual
job.  I know this logic can be confusing, but it's set up like this to make things more efficient - To prevent having to parse 10,000 lines of data for every single job in the example above!

*** BUT ***, in testing out your issue, I did find a bug in the VSDB-Analysis code when it's parsing the NBR line types.  In your config file, the following line is set:
interp_mthd[] = ["UW_MEAN"];
That means, only keep lines with "UW_MEAN" in them.  But the NBR line types don't list the interpolation method in them since it doesn't apply.  VSDB-Analysis was erroring out when try to check the
interpolation method for the NBR line types.  An additional check is required to get it to work right.

So please use the attached "vsdb_line.cc" file to replace the file "METv1.1/lib/vx_analysis_util/vsdb_line.cc", and rebuild MET.

I'll post this bug and fix to the MET known issues page.

Please let me know if you continue to have problems.

Thanks and Happy Halloween!

John