[Met_help] More MET questions

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Wed Oct 29 11:36:16 MDT 2008

Dan,

I looked more closely at the bug you're seeing when running Grid-Stat over the 1830x918 domain.

I narrowed it down to a GSL library routine that's choking on a the large number of grid points.  For whatever reason, the GSL routine "gsl_cdf_chisq_Pinv", which MET uses in computing normal
confidence intervals, is choking when the degrees of freedom passed to it are greater than 1,263,131.  For your data, we're passing it a value of 1,679,940.

I tried downloading and linking to the latest version of GSL, version 1.11, released 3/30/2008.  But the bug is still present in that version.  So I've submitted a bug report to GSL.

As n -> infinity, the value returned by this routine -> infinity as well.  As a crude workaround, I've added a check to the wrapper for this GSL routine to check for n being too large.  If it is, the
routine now returns a value of n*0.998.  With n so large anyway, this should have a negligible affect on the confidence intervals computed.

I tried this using your sample data files, and it does now work.

The attached file "gsl_cdf.cc" which includes the workaround replaces the file "METv1.1/lib/vx_gsl_prob/gsl_cdf.cc".  After replacing that file, please rebuild MET being sure to do a "make clean" first.