[Met_help] Input data for point-stat tool

John Halley Gotway johnhg at rap.ucar.edu
Thu Oct 2 10:09:50 MDT 2008

Valerio,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

When you run the Point-Stat tool, you pass to it a GRIB forecast file, a set of observations in NetCDF, and a configuration file.  Point-Stat extracts the fields from the GRIB file that you requested
in the config file.  And it compares those fields to the observations in the NetCDF file.  No filtering of the observation by time is done at this point.  Presumably, that's been done upstream.

For those using PREPBUFR observations for verification, the PB2NC tool allows you to specify which observation times you'd like to retain from the input PREPBBUFR file - as well as many other
filtering parameters.  However, since you're using your own ASCII observations, it's up to you to decide which observation times should be compared to which forecast times.

And Point-Stat should be run for each time that you'd like to verify.  So if you have 72 forecast times you'd like to verify, you should run Point-Stat 72 times.  And for each time you run it, you'll
need to create a NetCDF file containing observations to be compared with your forecast.

Hopefully that's clear.  Let me know if you have any more questions.

As you go through this process, I'd really like to hear feedback of how it's going.  If you have any suggestions for changes or enhancements we could make to the MET tools that would make your job a
lot easier, please let me know.  For example, would it be helpful in Point-Stat to allow the user to set a beginning and ending offset time for matching with observations?  So if a forecast is valid
at time T, only match to observations that are within the time window T plus or minus some time offset?  As I mentioned, currently that's taken care of in PB2NC but we could add it to Point-Stat as
well for those using ASCII observations.  Any suggestions?